"Compassionate. Comforting. Readers will see themselves on every page."
- Paul Casale, Licensed Professional Counselor, Marriage & Family TherapistLoss is painful. Separation hurts. We need comfort.
Oblivious to our suffering, the world around us speeds on as if nothing happened. Stunned, shocked, sad, confused, and angry, we blink in disbelief. The pain can be immense.
We look for comfort. We long for it. Grieving hearts need it to survive.
Multiple award-winning author, hospice chaplain, and grief counselor Gary Roe has become a trusted voice to many hurting, grieving hearts. Written with heartfelt compassion, this easy-to-read, warm, and practical book reads like a caring conversation with a friend and is destined to become a classic for those looking for hope and encouragement in times of loss.
Whether you've lost a spouse, child, parent, sibling, relative, or friend, Gary's desire is to meet you in your grief and walk with you there. Composed of brief chapters, Comfort for Grieving Hearts
is designed to be read one chapter per day, giving you bite-sized bits of comfort, encouragement, and healing over a period of time. You do not have to read it this way, of course. We all grieve differently. Read in the way that is most natural for you.
In Comfort for Grieving Hearts
, you will find peace and comfort in...
- Processing complicated grief emotions (sadness, anger, guilt, confusion, guilt, anxiety, depression, feeling overwhelmed, etc).
- Navigating feeling alone, misunderstood, and even rejected by those around you.
- Handling the increased stress and uncertainty that heavy loss can bring.
- Dealing with physical and mental health issues, illnesses, and new symptoms that often arise.
- Taking care of yourself through diet, hydration, fitness, and rest.
- Thinking through the challenging spiritual and faith questions that frequently surface.
- Relating well to the people around you - those who are helpful and those who aren't.
- Overcoming the tendency to run from emotional pain with unhealthy habits or compulsive behaviors.
- Finding the support you need for survival, recovery, and healing (safe people, fellow grievers, counseling, etc.).
- Developing a simple, realistic plan for birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays.
- Using your grief for good - for yourself, your family, and others.
- Allowing this loss to give you greater perspective and motivate you to live more effectively than ever before.
- Making your life count, one day, one moment at a time.
Please don't grieve alone. Let Comfort for Grieving Hearts join you on this arduous, tasking journey. Be kind to yourself. Take your heart seriously.
Death has invaded, but it doesn't have to win. Read on. Comfort awaits you in these pages of this book.
"The author's ability to connect with grieving hearts is so evident in this book. Readers will see themselves on almost every page and find the comfort they need in Gary's compassionate empathy and counsel. I highly recommend this book to anyone experiencing loss." - Paul Casale, Licensed Professional Counselor / Marriage and Family Therapist
"Gary Roe is no stranger to grief. In Comfort for Grieving Hearts, he captures the silent anguish of the grieving and provides practical understanding and insight for how to deal with grief. I found myself saying, 'YES, YES, YES!' with every page. If you find yourself in the midst of grief, this is a must read to help make sense of it all." -Dr. Troy Allen, Pastor
"Healing from the loss of a loved one is hard work. To do it well, we need to engage the bereavement challenge every day. In Comfort for Grieving Hearts, Gary guides the reader through the healing process with a daily dose of honesty, courage, compassion and love." -Dr. Craig Borchardt, President / CEO, Hospice Brazos Valley
"If you're struggling with the loss of a loved one, be encouraged. Gary's new book, Comfort for Grieving Hearts, walks you through the process of emotional healing. You'll find hope, healing, and help filtering your feelings." -Dr. Charles W. Page,MD
"From the first words on the first pages, I knew that this book was going to be different. This isn't just a book about grieving. It's about me. How am I going to heal? Where is my hope? Gary is speaking directly into my soul. Every page tells me that it's somehow going to be okay." - Scott Marlow, Journey Church
"In Comfort for Grieving Hearts, Gary masterfully describes the tapestry of emotion experienced by persons affected by loss. His connection to the reader is demonstrated through sharing his own journey of loss and healing. I share his books with clients and friends with great confidence." - Carrie Andree, Licensed Professional Counselor
"Gary Roe seems to have the ability to put into words exactly what my heart felt. His writings are full of truth and healing. Thank you, Gary, for using your personal pain to help others on their grief journey." - Page Bratcher, Grief and Divorce Recovery Coach
About the Author
Multiple award-winning author, speaker, and grief specialist Gary Roe is a compassionate and trusted voice in grief recovery who has been bringing comfort, hope, encouragement, and healing to hurting, wounded hearts for more than 30 years. In addition to Shattered, Gary is the author of numerous books, including the award-winning bestsellers Heartbroken:Healing from the Loss of a Spouse, Please Be Patient, I'm Grieving, and Teen Grief: Caring for the Grieving Teenage Heart.
Gary has been featured on Focus on the Family, Dr. Laura, Beliefnet, the Christian Broadcasting Network, Wellness.com, and other major media and has well over 500 grief-related articles inprint. Recipient of the Diane Duncam Award for Excellence in Hospice Care, Gary is a popular keynote, conference, and seminar speaker at a wide variety of venues. A former college minister, missionary in Japan, entrepreneur in Hawaii, and pastor in Texas and Washington, he now serves as a writer, speaker, chaplain, and grief counselor.
Gary loves being a husband and father. He has seven adopted children, including three daughters from Colombia. He enjoys hockey, corny jokes, good puns, and colorful Hawaiian shirts. Gary and his wife Jen and family live in Texas.
Visit Gary at garyroe.com.