"A truly healing book." - Glen Lord, President, The Compassionate Friends
Unthinkable. Unbelievable. Heartbreaking. Whatever words we choose, they all fall far short of the reality. The loss of a child is a terrible thing.
Accidents. Disease. Suicide. School shootings. Murder. Natural disasters. War. No matter how or when, the death of a child (no matter what age) can shatter the heart.
How do you survive this? Can you?
Shattered: Surviving the Loss of a Child was written to help.
Bestselling author, hospice chaplain, and grief specialist Gary Roe uses his three decades of experience interacting with grieving parents to give us this heartfelt, easy-to-read, and intensely practical book. In Shattered, Roe walks the reader through the powerful impact a child's death can have - emotionally, mentally, physically, relationally, and spiritually.
Shattered unpacks the depth of this loss, describing how...
- Intense, unpredictable emotions (sadness, anger, guilt, anxiety, fear, depression) can hijack us at a moment's notice.
- Our minds spin. We can't concentrate. We forget things. It feels like we're going crazy.
- Our bodies get hit. Symptoms surface. Our health can be impacted. Illness can invade.
- Our souls feel crushed. Guilt shakes us. What we believe gets challenged.
- Our relationships change. Marriage, family, and friendships feel the impact.
- Our plans and dreams are shattered. The future has changed. We're in uncharted territory.
Yes, the loss of a child affects everything.
In Shattered, you will discover how you can...- Deal with the volatile, unpredictable emotions assaulting you.
- Manage the massive changes that are occurring in your life and routine.- Move through feeling overwhelmed and begin to heal.
- Take care of yourself and your health amid all the challenges.
- Honor your child with how you grieve.
- Love those around you, even with a broken heart.- Navigate spiritual uncertainties and faith questions.- Turn couple, family, and relational upheaval into personal growth.- Support your other children in their grief and parent well through this.- Find the people and resources you need to begin to recover.- Decipher whether counseling or grief coaching would be beneficial for you.
- Live life as well as possible while in the midst of great pain.
- Make your child's life count in deep and powerful ways.
Shattered is not a magic pill. The death of a child cannot be fixed. But comfort, compassion, guidance, and hope can be found in these pages.
If you are a grieving parent or grandparent, this book was written for you.
We will never be the same, but we can survive. And to some degree, we can heal. Shattered can help.
Open this book, and let the healing continue.
Shattered was a 2017 Best Book Awards Finalist.
"In Shattered, Gary Roe utilizes the stories and journeys of many bereaved parents to walk the reader from shock to hope. Gary is no stranger to the reality of grief and utilizes his unique empathy and understanding gained though a lifetime of working with the bereaved to create a truly healing book." -Glen Lord, President/CEO, The Grief Toolbox; President, National Board of Directors, The Compassionate Friends, father of Noah Thomas Emory Lord, who died at age 4½
"Shattered is a sensitive, compassionate,and thorough treatment of an extremely emotional and difficult subject. Bereaved parents and grandparents everywhere will benefit from this heartfelt book and find some healing and hope in its pages." - Paul Casale, Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist and Mental Health Counselor
"There isn't a book that can be written to explain exactly how we feel,but Shattered is no doubt the closest I've seen. Thanks to Gary Roe for helping us speak and giving our shattered lives a voice." - Michelle Jeter, author of A Legacy of a Lifetime and mother of Sydney, who died at age 16
"In Shattered, Gary Roe uniquely and delicately addresses the devastating subject of losing a child. This book will be an excellent resource,not only for bereaved parents, but also for those who support them." - Joangeli Kasper, Licensed ProfessionalCounselor
"Your grief will be unique because your child was unique. Nevertheless, you will find something helpful in Shattered. Gary offers tons of practical advice about moving through this challenging time. " - Cherry Moore, hospice chaplain, artist,and mother of Lew, who died at age 16
"There's nothing more devastating and painful in life than the loss of a child. The challenge of living life after such an event is staggering. Shattered is a source of compassionate insight into a truly difficult topic." - Dr. Craig Borchardt, President/CEO,Hospice Brazos Valley
"Shattered is superb. I believe that anyone could read it and find help with their grief after losing a child. It is a thorough, timely, and much needed book." - Dr. Tony Taylor, Senior Pastor, Hilltop Lakes Chapel
As a mental health professional for three decades, I find great value in Gary's presentation of one of the toughest clinical issues to deal with in therapy. I will keep several copies on hand for families or support folks walking this difficult journey." - Carrie Andree,Licensed Professional Counselor